Instructor: Jim Smith
Topic: Constructing a Basic Narrative
Stories surround us. They form the basis for everything we do, from getting to school to getting through a job interview or landing that big contract. By the end of the week, you will have a basic understanding of how stories work as negotiation between the storyteller and the audience.
- Graham, “Writing, Briefly”
- Browne and King, “Show and Tell” and “Characterization and Exposition,” Self-Editing for Fiction Writers
- Ingermanson, “Writing the Perfect Scene”
Post-class Assignment (due by 8:00am EST on 9/11/2012)
- Write a blog entry that is a 250-500 word (1-2 page) action narrative.
- Grade yourself: send Jen Guiliano a message in ELMS with your responses to the questions about your story from the week 2 story rubric. Include a link to your blog entry and make sure the message is clear that it is part of this assignment.